Bungie is reportedly facing another major round of layoffs, and Destiny 3 is not currently in active development. According to a new Bloomberg report cited by IGN, the Destiny 2 developer is expected to be hit with “significant” layoffs in the near future, creating even more uncertainty around the studio’s future after years of instability under Sony.
The report arrives shortly after Bungie confirmed that Destiny 2 will receive its final live-service content update on June 9, 2026. The update, Monument of Triumph, will mark the end of active development for Destiny 2, though Bungie has said the game will remain playable afterward, in the same way the original Destiny has remained playable.
Bungie Is Reportedly Moving Away From Destiny 2, But Destiny 3 Is Not Its Next Step
In its official announcement, Bungie described Monument of Triumph as a sendoff for Destiny 2 and a starting point for what comes next for the studio—which it says involves “incubating our next games.” The update will be free for all players and is meant to make Destiny 2 more welcoming for returning players before active development concludes. Bungie also said its weekly blog posts will enter hibernation after the update, though the studio plans to continue communicating through social media and other channels.
However, Bloomberg’s report suggests that whatever comes next for Bungie may not be Destiny 3, despite speculation that it could be next in line. According to the report, Bungie still plans to pitch and prototype ideas set within the Destiny universe, but none of those projects have reportedly been greenlit for full production. That means Destiny 3 is not currently lined up as Bungie’s next major project, even with Destiny 2 now entering what is essentially its final stage as an actively supported live-service game.
Instead, Bungie’s current focus appears to be Marathon, the studio’s extraction shooter and its first major non-Destiny release in years. According to IGN’s summary of Bloomberg’s report, leadership at Bungie had previously explored ways to make Destiny 2 more accessible to new players, but the studio ultimately shifted more developers and resources toward Marathon. Bungie recently outlined its plans for Marathon Season 2, which begins June 2, including new PvE content, improved onboarding, and changes meant to make the game less intimidating for newcomers.
Read the full article on GameRant
This article originally appeared on GameRant and is republished here with permission.
Read the full article here



