HomeUSANavy Investigators Suspect Arson in Fire Aboard Docked Destroyer

Navy Investigators Suspect Arson in Fire Aboard Docked Destroyer

Published on

Weekly Newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Navy investigators are offering a $2,000 reward for information on a December 2022 fire aboard the destroyer USS Carney, a blaze they have deemed likely to have resulted from arson.

In a social media post made Thursday evening, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service said it is looking “for information leading to the identification of those responsible for starting a fire” aboard the Mayport, Florida-based ship in the early morning hours of Dec. 23. The service had not previously indicated that it considered the blaze intentional.

In the days after the fire, there were hints that arson was a possibility when the Navy confirmed to Military.com that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or ATF — an agency that calls itself the main federal source for fire investigations and expertise — was helping in the investigation.

Read Next: ‘I Let Down the Combatant Commander’: Marine Leader Regrets His Forces Weren’t Available for Recent Crises

A Navy spokesman confirmed in December that the Carney suffered a fire at around 3:43 a.m. Dec. 23. The ship’s crew, along with Jacksonville Fire and Rescue and a team from the nearby destroyer USS Mason, all responded to the blaze that, according to a Twitter account that specializes in open-source intelligence, was described as a medium-sized class-A fire in one of the ship’s compartments.

Class-A blazes occur when things like wood, cloth, paper, rubber or plastic catch fire.

The Navy said that the fire was quickly extinguished, but six sailors were taken to a nearby hospital for smoke inhalation before being released the same day.

Unlike the fire that gutted the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard in 2020, the Carney was not undergoing scheduled maintenance or moored at a shipyard.

In the case of the Bonhomme Richard, the Navy ultimately accused a young sailor of starting the inferno that claimed the ship, but the case fizzled at court-martial. The ship has since been decommissioned and sent to be scrapped.

— Konstantin Toropin can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @ktoropin.

Related: Navy Calls in ATF Investigators to Probe Blaze Aboard Destroyer Docked in Florida

Show Full Article



Read the full article here

Latest articles

Monkeypox: Deadly New Form Poses A “Global Threat”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States is warning that...

They Finally Did It: NEW Glock 17L Gen5 MOS

Posted in Daily News, News, Pistols, Product Announcement, Semi-Auto by with...

Federal Judge Grants Partial Injunction Against New ATF Rule on Gun Sales

The ATF's new rule re-defining who is in "engaged in the business" of dealing...

More like this

The mother of a protester whose killer was pardoned says she was robbed of justice

The mother of a man killed during a Black Lives Matter protest said Friday...

Upgrades to Add That Extra Edge

There’s an expression that goes something like, “You don’t know what you don’t know.”...

If Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi Is Dead, That Could Push The Middle East To The Brink Of All-Out War

This article was originally published by Michael Snyder at The Economic Collapse Blog.  Did we...

The Best Sunglasses for Women of 2024

The best parts about spending time outdoors are the fresh air, stunning views, and...

Trump Garners NRA Endorsement Among ‘Rebellious’ Gun Rights Supporters

Former President Donald Trump is making a very real play to return to the...

What is Survival Medicine?

Survival medicine goes beyond the familiar territory of standard emergency care. In modern emergency...